Friday, February 14, 2014

Saying it with Snickerdoodles

As I announced yesterday, I am back to blogging.  We had a snow day yesterday, so I of course used my extra day to bake cookies instead of do the massive amounts of homework I have... Then again, if you're reading this, then you probably know me, and you aren't at all surprised by this procrastination tactic.

I have a love-hate relationship with Valentine's Day.  I think it's too commercialized and sappy and pressured.  But I also kind of like it because it gives me an excuse to show my friends how much I love them.  Because friend-love and all other kinds of love should be celebrated on Valentine's Day too.  In previous years, I have spent my Valentine's Days stuffing my friends' mailboxes with cookies, teaching Zumba Fitness® in a women's prison, and playing Apples to Apples with patients in a psychiatric hospital.  Those were the best ways I could have spent a holiday about love- showing love to other people.

Last year I was in bad space and did not do anything to celebrate V Day.  This year, I am feeling inspired by the new love and relationships that have come into my life, so I decided to bake some cookies.  Unfortunately it is not as convenient to give them to people as in college, when I just put them in everyone's mailboxes.  This year, I had all I could do to battle the weather and get a tin full of cookies into my internship for my coworkers.  To the rest of my friends, please know that I love you and will give you cookies if you come visit me.

I wasn't exactly in a sugar cookie mood yesterday, so I decided to do something different.  For possibly the first time in my 24 years, I have a date on Valentine's Day.  This date told me his favorite cookies are snickerdoodles, so I decided to make them for my coworkers and leave an extra one out for him.  I usually hate sprinkles, but I wanted to be a little festive, so this is what I came up with:


Valentine's Snickerdoodles
Recipe adapted from here
Yield: 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsps vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour

Mix together:
4 Tbs granulated sugar
2 tsps cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Assorted sprinkles (for decorating)

Directions:

1. Assemble your ingredients.


2. Beat butter on high for 30 seconds.

3. Add in sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar.  Beat on medium until incorporated.

4. Add in eggs and vanilla.  Beat just until combined.

5. Stir in flour until combined.

6. Scoop dough up into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

7. Take Tablespoonfuls of dough, roll them into perfect balls, and then roll them in the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg mixture.   Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

8. Cook on middle rack at 350°F for 10 minutes.

9. Let cookies cool on tray for 2 minutes.  In the meantime, sprinkle them.  Don't forget to scrape the extra sprinkles off the baking sheet before you use it again.  Otherwise you will have burnt sugar goo, and that is no fun.

10. Transfer cookies to wire racks to finish cooling completely.

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone I love.  Here is to learning to love again!


Love and cookies (literally this time),

No comments:

Post a Comment