Thursday, February 13, 2014

Baking, Birthdays, and Balance

Dear friends, family, and foodies that read this blog,

I want to apologize for the minor hiatus I took from blogging.  There has been a lot going on in my life, and I am finally ready to tell you about it.  I haven't entirely disappeared from baking.  In fact, I have done quite a bit of baking therapy.  I just haven't had the time to write about any of it.  Since my last post, I have made:

Peppermint Cupcakes w/ Dark Chocolate Ganache and Crushed Candy Canes


Melting Snowmen Cookies Take 2


Dark Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting and Crushed Candy Canes


New York Style Cheesecake w/ a Graham Cracker Crust and a
Homemade Cranberry-Sour Cherry Compote

Minnie Mouse Cupcakes

Mocha Cake w/ Espresso and Mocha Buttercreams,
Topped w/ Chocolate Shavings

White Cake w/ Vanilla Buttercream, Filled with Chocolate Chips,
Decorate with Fondant and Buttercream

White Cake, Filled w/ Strawberry Preserves, Topped w/
Chocolate Buttercream and Fresh Strawberries

Chocolate Cake w/ Vanilla Buttercream
See?  Told you I've been busy.  I've also been busy with other things, like grad school, my internship, my two part-time jobs, and my never-ending quest for happiness and growth.  Allow me to fill you in:

1. Grad school: School has been tough, but I am managing things better and staying afloat this semester.  I still don't love my school or the Boston area, but I am hanging in there.  This is just what I have to do to fulfill my life dream, and that is getting me through.

2. Practicum: My practicum or "internship" has been going swimmingly.  I love working in a middle school.  I have some of the most wonderful and supportive coworkers and some of the most amazing students.  I never want to leave.  Unfortunately I have to, and the search for next year's site is grueling and frustrating, but I know I will find one that is meant for me in the end.

3. Marketing Job: I have cut back on some hours and am no longer working for Admissions, but I am really liking this job.  I have a really wonderful boss (in fact, she ordered the Minnie Mouse cupcakes for her daughter's birthday party!).  She is attentive and supportive and always there for me.

4. Tutoring Job: I had a plethora of students in the fall, and am just now catching a break.  I have met some really amazing kids and families the last few months, and one of them has almost become like a little sister to me.  I am loving what I am doing and can't wait to meet my next student!

5. Life: I made the decision to leave behind my toxic relationship and put me first.  It was a really difficult and painful decision that took many months to make, and I finally did it.  I feel free and happy and optimistic.  I am beginning the search for new apartments, but won't be moving until I secure an internship for next year.  In the mean time, I have been meeting new people and re-connecting with old ones.  I joined a gym and have been eating better.  I have been making time for myself and for being social.  I have finally found a sense of inner peace and balance, and I am not about to let that go.


Thank you to all of those who have supported me through this difficult time in my life, and I look forward to the times we are about to have now that I am a whole person again.  This 24th year of my life is going to be the best one yet; I can feel it.

Love and cookies,

1 comment:

  1. Hannah guapa, I am happy to see you manage to take things with your usual strength and positivity, you're amazing! I hope you received my little Christmas post-card :) It really is time for me to write you a letter, a real beautiful letter :) lot of love! Nol

    ReplyDelete