Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Breakfast-Inspired Cookies

In the fall, the majority of foods and beverages I consume usually contains pumpkin.  I love pumpkin everything: pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin latte, pumpkin-spiced chai, pumpkin soufflé, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie smoothies, pumpkin french toast- you name it.  A few weekends ago, it was a chilly autumn morning, and I was faced with one of my favorite questions: "what should I eat for breakfast?"  I definitely wanted something warm, so pumpkin pancakes immediately came to my mind.  However, I also wanted something healthy, so I dreamed up a quick, healthy, and delicious pumpkin oatmeal recipe, complete with pecans and dried cranberries:


It was so wonderful, that I decided it should also be a cookie.  That's right- my breakfast inspired my latest cookies.  This is what I came up with:


Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies w/ Pecans and Craisins
Recipe adapted from here
Yield: 3 dozen small cookies


Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
2 large eggs
1 Tbs molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp all-spice
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup dried cranberries

Directions:
1. Assemble your ingredients

2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars.  Stir in pumpkin on medium until incorporated.

3. Add in eggs, vanilla, and molasses until combined.  Set aside.

4. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together dry ingredients up to the spices.

5. Slowly stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until incorporated.

6. Stir in oats, cranberries, and pecans by hand just until combined.

7. Drop dough by rounded Tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.

8. Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes.  Cool on pans on wire racks for two minutes, then transfer cookies directly to wire racks to finish cooling completely.  If desired, sprinkle extra sugar on top of cookies while warm.

These cookies were AMAZING.  They were chewy and delicious and pumpkiny with complex textures from the cranberries and pecans.


To say that I've been having a rough last few weeks would be an understatement.  To quote my friend Gigi, "my life is in shambles."  Things are sort of a mess, and I really just need the support of my friends and some good cookies.  These provided the latter, and a nice game night in provided the former.  I've just got to stay focused and sing some Jack's Mannequin until the storm blows over...

Here's to pumpkins and swimming.

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment