Thursday, September 5, 2013

Copy Cat Cookies

Last week I was cranky.  It was the first week of school and I had cramps and my fall allergies commenced.  And to make it the worst week ever, we had no cookies in the house.  I absolutely could not let this slide.  First week of school= cookie time.

I had been dreaming about making my favorite childhood cookie from scratch for a long time, but it just seemed like a lot of work.  And besides, could homemade really taste as good as the ultra-processed boxed stuff?  I decided to give it a shot, and this is what I ended up with:


Copycat Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy
Yield: About a dozen big cookie sandwiches
I would like to say that I have the recipe and all the step-by-step photos for you.  Unfortunately, I was feeling kind of overwhelmed with the first week of classes and completely forgot.

Luckily for you, Jaclyn from Cooking Classy has very clear instructions, so I suggest you just follow her advice.

The only changes I made were these:
1.  I used 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour.
2.  I used 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, and then blended them.
3.  I used 1 Tbs cocoa powder.
4.  I spiced things up and used 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp ginger.
4.  I omitted the coconut extract and the food coloring
5.  For the filling, I mixed equal parts marshmallow fluff and Cool Whip.


They may not have been exactly the same as Little Debbie's, but they were delicious.  They were a little heartier because of the rolled oats and had a greater depth of flavor because of the spice increase.

Go ahead, make these, relive your childhood, and pretend you aren't in grad school right now.  That's what I did!  Here's to regression!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment