Monday, August 5, 2013

Plum Luck

I was very excited to bring the leftover Mexican sunflower cupcakes to Shabbat the following night.  I wanted to share my sunnier life baking adventure with more of my wonderful and supportive friends.  And as I was putting them into the container, I realized I made a really dumb mistake.  I used almond milk in the cupcakes, and one of my Shabbat friends, Suzanne, is allergic to nuts!  Normally, this would not have been a problem, except I realized it just a few hours before I had to leave, and no time to go to the grocery store.

I searched my cupboards and refrigerator.  I was out of butter, so cookies were out, and the thought of making more cupcakes was nauseating.  I found some leftover dough wrapped up in the back of the fridge, and decided I could throw together a quick mini tart.  Now, the only question was what to fill it with.  Jay and I have started shopping at Costco and buying things in bulk, which can work to your advantage if you are in this predicament.  The previous week we bought a lot of plums, and we couldn't eat them as fast as they were ripening, so throwing them into a tart was the perfect option.  I do not recommend buying fruit in bulk unless you are going to can or freeze it, or throw a party.

So, in literally 25 minutes, I had the perfect personal dessert for Suzanne:


Rustic Brown Sugar Plum Tartelette
Recipe completely made up in my head
Yield: 1 mini tartelette
Ingredients:
1 small ball leftover pastry dough
2 small ripe plums
2 tsps brown sugar

Directions:
1.  Roll out little dough ball and press it into the bottom and sides of your mini tart pan.
2.  Slice up plums as you would apples for a pie.
3.  Arrange plums in a flower shape around the crust (it may take two layer to fill it, depending on the depth of your pan).
4.  Sprinkle with brown sugar.
5.  Bake at 425°F for 10-15 minutes, until the crust is nice and golden brown.
6.  Cool in pan on wire rack for 25 minutes, then transfer tartelette directly to wire rack to finish cooling, or eat while warm.

I'm sorry for not thinking ahead, Suzanne!  I hope it wasn't too bad for throwing it together last minute!


Here's to plum dumb luck!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment