Friday, August 9, 2013

Piña Colada Cookies

Today Peanut and I got caught in the rain.  Peanut doesn't like that, but I do.  Know what else I like?  Piña coladas.  Do you see where I am going with this?  If you don't, then your life is sad, and you need to watch the video below.  However, if you do, let's listen to the song anyway and move on.


I am kind of obsessed with that song.  Anytime it is raining or blizzarding, that song pops into my head.  It brings me out of my bad weather blues and makes me feel all warm and tropical and happy inside.  Like I am filled with fruity rum drinks and sitting on a beach.  Even though it actually has to do with some dude trying to cheat on his woman, taking out a personal ad, and then his own woman ends up responding to the personal ad.  In the end, it's supposed to be all cute and coming back together grossness.  I think it's rather sad.  But I don't think about the real meaning of the song, because up until like 4 months ago, I only ever listened to the chorus, which is, "do you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain?"  And yes, I like both of those things.

And you know what else makes me feel all fuzzy and warm and tropical inside?  My friends.  My friends are fucking awesome.  I'm sorry, I normally try to avoid swearing on here, but that sort of expletive was necessary to convey to you the magnitude of love and gratitude I have for my amazing friends.  The last few months have been rough for me, but knowing that I have friends to call me after soccer, to cook with, to lay by the pool with, to run errands with, to go for coffee with, and who come all the way to visit me is all I need to get me through.  My friends are like fruity rum drinks, and sometimes, I have friends AND fruity alcoholic beverages, and then my life is DOUBLE AMAZING.

Since I've had this song stuck in my head all day, I wanted to make something piña colada themed for Shabbat tonight.  I once made pineapple and coconut rum cakes, but those were pretty heavy and potent little devils, and were better for winter months.  I was also craving cookies, so I came up with these little beauties:

Piña Colada Cookies (dairy free)
Recipe very adapted from Averie Cooks
Yield: 20 small cookies
Ingredients:

1/2 cup firm coconut oil (if it's too warm and liquidy it won't work)
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
2 1/2 Tbs dark rum (or more if you are feeling a little crazy)
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
2 tsps merengue powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup dried pineapple pieces, coarsely chopped

Directions:
Assemble ingredients
In a small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients except sugar and pineapple.  Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil and brown sugar until fluffy.  Then stir in remaining wet ingredients.
Slowly stir dry ingredients into the wet until combined, then stir in pineapple.
Roll dough into Tablespoon size balls and place on parchment paper.  Squish down balls slightly until they resemble a cookie shape.  Chill pans in refrigerator at least two hours.


Once completely chilled, bake cookies at 350°F for 8 minutes, until the bottoms begin to turn golden brown.  As soon as you remove them from the oven, press some extra shredded coconut on the tops.

Cool on pans for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire racks to finish cooling completely

TA DA!  These little babies are DELICIOUS.  They taste like a week-long Hawaiian vacation at a fancy resort.  Holy moly cow.  I think I scared myself with how delicious these things are.  I might need an actual vacation now.

If you are having a case of the rainy day blues, or if your friends aren't around to bring you out of your funk, make these cookies.  I promise they will make everything better.  Unless, of course, the thing you are upset about is your growing waist line, in which case these won't fix that, but they will still cheer you up.

Here's to piña coladas, getting caught in the rain, and having really amazing friends.

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment