Monday, July 1, 2013

Quick Cupcakes

I haven't had a ton of time to bake lately, because we finally moved!  My boyfriend, curious dog, and I have finally settled moved our boxes into our new place.  There is still a lot to be unpacked and organized, but slowly and surely, we are getting there.

Of course, I demanded that the kitchen be the first room to be unpacked, and that happened.  So when my friend, Lilly, texted me at 10pm one night last week to invite me over to her last-minute birthday dinner the following day, I was prepared.  When I saw the text I immediately thought, "Ha! Screw you Lilly!  You think I have time to bake a cake overnight?!"  But I wasn't going to let my friend have a birthday without a cake, especially not after how good her cake was last year, so I got to work.

I didn't have a lot of time, and my kitchen still is not fully stocked, so I had to improvise a little.  You know me, I cannot follow a recipe anyway, so I guess my lack of ingredients was an excuse to get creative.  I chose a really simple, one bowl cake recipe, invented a ganache, and had these babies ready in an hour.  Yep, I baked gourmet cupcakes from start to finish in an hour.  And you can too:


Spiced Orange Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Dark Chocolate and Olive Oil Ganache (vegan)
Recipe adapted from Life's a Feast
Yield: 15 cupcakes
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup + a small splash vegetable oil
1 Tbs white vinegar
1 tsp orange extract

Ingredients (in my poorly lit new kitchen)
Whisk together dry ingredients.  Set aside.
In a measure cup, add in all wet ingredients
Whisk wet ingredients into the dry until well-combined 
Pour 1/4 cup batter into lined muffin trays
Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to cool completely on wire racks
Dark Chocolate and Olive Oil Ganache:

Melt 4oz dark chocolate and one Tbs good quality olive oil until smooth.  Pour over cooled cupcakes.


You know, for short notice, limited ingredients, and vegan, these cupcakes were pretty damn amazing.  And so was the celebration we had for Lilly.  The flavors were complex but the recipe was simple.  I highly recommend them if you are short on time!


Happy Birthday, Lilly!

Love and cookies,

1 comment:

  1. This recipe sounds amazing :D Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete