Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Playing With Pumpkin Pie

I had a rough week last week.  I was stressed about packing to move, the boyfriend was working long hours, the dog was crazy, and I quit my SSRIs.  I had two long papers due last week, it rained all week, and on top of everything, I had my period.  I was one big crying hot mess.

By the time Friday night rolled around, I knew that I HAD to force myself to go to Shabbat.  This wonderful combination of close friends and amazing food always cheers me up.  The tough part was that I am responsible for bringing dessert each week, and all my baking materials are already packed.  And I don't have any ingredients, except for a few things on my shelf that I haven't put into a box yet.  Luckily for me, those things included a pie crust, pumpkin, evaporated milk, and white chocolate chips.  It was a sign.  I had to make a pumpkin pie.  But who wants a boring old pumpkin pie in the spring time?  I decided that the white chocolate needed to be incorporated somehow, and boy am I glad that I made that ridiculous decision.  This is what I came up with:


White Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
Recipe adapted from Libby's
Yield: 2 9" pies, or one pie and a large mug of extra filling for yourself
Ingredients:
1 9" pie shell, unbaked
1 15oz can Libby's pumpkin
1 12oz can evaporated milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp all spice
10oz white chocolate, melted
2oz white chocolate, melted, for decorating

Directions:
  1. Whisk together all ingredients except white chocolate until smooth.
  2. Slowly stir in white chocolate until incorporated
  3. Pour mixture into pie shell.
  4. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 F and continue baking 40-50 minutes.
  5. Allow pie to cool completely on a wire rack.
  6. Decorate with white chocolate as desired.
This pie was AMAZING.  I don't know if I am ever going to be able to eat regular pumpkin pie again.  Definitely try it out!  You won't be sorry.

And to my Shabbat friends, thank you for being there for me, feeding me, teaching me a new game, and cheering me up.  I love you guys so much!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment