Monday, June 3, 2013

Carla's Crazy Cheesecake

I am so grateful for the internship experience I had my first year of graduate school.  The clients may have been extremely challenging, and I didn't always love the therapy process, but the office environment was what kept me going.  I met some of the most incredible people, both clinicians and fellow interns.  LHI is a family to me, and I am so sad that I will be leaving in only two weeks.

One of those incredible new family members is Carla, one of the masters interns from MSPP.  She is from Puerto Rico and is one of the silliest and most wonderful girls I have ever met.  I can't go into her office without smiling, and any time she comes into my office for chocolate, she always makes me giggle.  She is spunky and fierce, and also a fabulous dancer.  (She also didn't mind checking the grammar on letters I sent to my Spanish-speaking clients, even though she was working full-time and doing school full-time).  It's safe to say that I love and admire this girl like an hermana.

Carla is on a really inspiring fitness quest, and amazes me with her will power to eat healthy.  For her birthday cake, I had two choices: 1) make her a healthy, all-natural, fat-free cake, or 2) make her a cake that was as wild and wonderful and crazy as she is.  I obviously chose option 2.  This is what I came up with:


Chocolate and Vanilla Zebra Cheesecake
Recipe adapted from Tales of an Overtime Cook
Yield: 1 10" cheesecake (approx 16 servings)


Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
6 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

Vanilla Cheesecake:
8oz cream cheese, softened
4oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsps vanilla
1/4 cup milk (I used soy)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Chocolate Cheesecake
8oz cream cheese, softened
4oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk (I used soy)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions:
I was rushing to put this together since it was 95°F in my kitchen, so I didn't have time to take step-by-step photos.  Sorry!  Follow OverTime Cook's instructions, just cut out the strawberry step.  The process looked like this:


Once you have it all together, bake the cheesecake at 350°F in a water bath for one hour.

Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes, then use a knife to separate the cheesecake from the sides of the pan, but do not remove the spring form yet.  Allow to cool another 20-30 minutes, then release the springform.  Allow to finish cooling completely, then refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.


Carla, happy birthday, and happy graduation.  Gracias por ser mi hermana este año.  ¡Te quiero, chica!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment