Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dulce de... Domestic?

I know you haven't heard from me in a while.  I was in finals, so forgive me for not posting.  I did bake to keep me sane; I just didn't have time to write about it.  Here's what I made:
Black Magic Chocolate Cake, filled w/ Raspberry Preserves, Topped w/ Nutella Mousse and Dark Chocolate
Hazelnut Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Nutella Mousse and Dark Chocolate
For those of you that haven't heard, my boyfriend and I are moving in together in June.  We are going to have completely opposite schedules.  I will be working at a school 8am-3pm, and he will be working 1-9pm.  In order to ensure that we would not be completely lonely, we decided to adopt a dog!

We chose to adopt from the animal shelter back home that I used to volunteer at every Saturday for 6 years.  I called up my honorary little sister that still works there, and asked if they had any apartment-friendly sized dogs available.  She sent me pictures of two, and Jay and I immediately fell in love with 1 1/2 year old beagle.  So the day after I finished my finals, I drove to NY with Jay's sister to pick up the little guy.  Meet Charles P. Nut, aka "Peanut":


He's pretty happy here, but I have found myself becoming increasingly domestic since bringing him home.  I have been on break from classes, so I have sort of been feeling like a stay-at-home mom.  I wake up early to feed and walk him, then take a nap with him, then clean the house, then go for another walk, then read, then cook dinner, then do the dishes, and then wait patiently with Peanut for Jay to come home.  It's been OK, but I think I have definitely realized it gets old pretty quickly.  I am definitely going to be a working mom when I have real kids.

To top off my feeling domestic, I was hired to bake a cheesecake for a coworker's church's mother's day celebration.  They chose a cheesecake I had made before from my portfolio: Felipe's dulce de leche cheesecake.  So in between cleaning the house, yard work, and walking the dog, I rushed around making this cheesecake, and delivered it on my way to a day at the mall with one of my girl friends.


For the recipe, see this post here.  Then drizzle with caramel sauce instead of strawberries.

The clinician that ordered the cake told me that it received rave reviews, and that no one could stop talking about it.  Normally, I am fairly humble about my baked goods, but I have to tell you, this is one damn good cheesecake.  I highly recommend it.

Now my domestic streak is coming to a close, as summer semester begins next week.  In the mean time,   I am going to enjoy my last precious days as a house wife, taking care of this little guy:
Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment