Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Carrot Cake Cookies

I wish I had time to write some creative life update and background story to these cookies, but unfortunately, I don't.  Here is my life update: I am so busy!  I am taking summer classes, working for the marketing dept, still finishing up my internship, learning to mother a dog, and am getting ready to move. AAAHHH.

To avoid hearing me rant about how stressed I am, here is a cute picture of my dog on a boat!


And here are some cookies!


Carrot Cake Cookies w/ Cream Cheese Icing
Recipe adapted from Quick Feet, Good Eats
Yield: 30 cookies

Cookie Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar + extra for rolling
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 cups steel-cut rolled oats
2 cups grated fresh carrots
1 cup raisins
Directions:

Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth 
Add in eggs and vanilla and stir just until combined
Gradually stir in dry ingredients until incorporated
Make sure to use fresh carrots, rinse them, and dry before grating
Add in carrots, oats, and raisins, and stir until combined
Cover and refrigerate the dough for one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

I have recently discovered the beauty of parchment paper for less clean-up, but it did NOT work in this case.  Instead, grease your pans with vegetable shortening.

Dip rolled Tablespoonfuls of dough in granulated sugar, then spread them  2" apart on a greased baking sheet
Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until edges begin to brown.


The parchment trial was not a success.  The first batch on the parchment burned horribly, so I tried greasing the pans instead of using the parchment.  *See below*

Left: greased pan batch - Right: parchment batch
I unfortunately lost a perfectly good dozen cookies to the parchment paper fiasco, but I still had about a dozen and a half to take with me to Shabbat.

Cream Cheese Icing 
Icing Ingredients
8oz Cream Cheese Spread
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions: Beat cream cheese and butter on high until fluffy.  Slow add in confectioners' sugar.  Pipe onto cookies using a pastry bag.


WOAH.  End of story.  Carrot cake in cookie form?  My life is complete.  Also- my love of parchment paper is officially over.

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment