Friday, April 12, 2013

The Sweet Life

Sometimes, life feels perfect.  Sometimes even if there is still lots of stress, or finals looming the corner, things just feel wonderful.  Today is one of those days.  Even though it was raining and gross out, I was a ball of happiness today.

I made a perfect cup of coffee and got to my practicum early, so I filled my car with gas and cleaned out my car to get ready for our super-fast road trip home tomorrow.  Then at LHI, I attended a really amazing training on HIV.  It made me realize just how much I am learning this year.

This week I also got the practicum of my dreams for next year at a middle school special education department. Next week is our spring break, so I'm headed home for the weekend to get my car checked out and then visit a possible new addition to my family.  The boyfriend and I are moving in together in July, so we are getting a fur-baby to keep us company from Ayres Memorial Animal Shelter.   Next week Jay and I are touring apartments, I'm picking up shifts at work, catching up with some friends, attending a conference on Autism and Asperger's with Temple Grandin.

And tonight, as I realize just how sweet my life is, we are headed to Shabbat at the Schwacobson's to share delicious food and wine (and of course a few rounds of Cards Against Humanity) with some of our dearest friends.  To mirror my newfound appreciation for life's sweetness I decided to make these for Shabbat tonight:


Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (dairy-free)
Recipe Adapted from Scientifically Sweet
Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbs Earth Balance (room temperature)
2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)

Directions:
Ingredients (missing a few things)
Whisk together the dry ingredients.  Set aside.
Cream together Earth Balance and sugars until smooth.
Stir in peanut butter on medium speed until smooth. 
Add egg and vanilla just until combined. 
Stir in flour mixture and oats until incorporated. 
Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
Roll teaspoonfuls of dough and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Gently smush them with your hand to flatten them slightly.
Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350°F.  Cool cookies on pan for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.

These were by far the most amazing cookies I have made in a very long time.  They may even rival my Coconut Dark Chocolate Chunk cookies...  and that is really saying something.  They are gorgeous, sweet, salty, complex, chewy, and absolutely perfect.  I guess I did a pretty good job trying to reflect my life in a cookie.


Have a great spring break, all my MSPP friends.  Here's to the sweet life.

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment