Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Making Special Muffins More Special

I know the title is a mouthful, but so are these muffins.  These are the first food-allergy-friendly baked goods that I have ever really enjoyed eating.  You would never know that these aren't the real thing.  I took one bite and said: wait, which one did I just eat? (I made a regular version and this one for my class, so I thought I had taken a bite of the regular recipe).

These were every bit as chocolaty and wonderful as the original version.  They were a slightly darker color, and just a little bit more crumbly due to the rice flour, but otherwise, you couldn't tell the difference.

I made these muffins for my clinical seminar family.  One of my best friends here at MSPP, Nicole, is allergic/intolerant of almost everything edible (remember that special tart I made for her birthday?).  It has been customary to bring in bagels or donuts or muffins and then a fruit cup for Nicole.  I didn't want her to feel left out this time, so I made her her own batch of special Nicole-friendly muffins:


Double Chocolate Chip Muffins (gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, peanut-free)
Recipe seriously adapted from here
Yield: about 8-10 muffins


Ingredients
1 cup brown rice flour
heaping 1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
heaping 1/8 cup dark brown sugar
heaping 1/8 cup granulated sugar
1/2 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (plus extra for sprinkling)
heaping 1/3 cup coconut yogurt
1 1/2 Tbs beaten egg 
1/2 tsp vanilla
slightly more than 1/3 cup strongly brewed hot coffee 

Directions:
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
In a small saucepan, melt Earth Balance and then stir in chocolate chips until smooth.  Remove from heat.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla, and coconut yogurt.
Add the chocolate, yogurt mixture, and coffee to the dry ingredients.  Stir until combined, then stir in remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Fill lined muffin cups 3/4 full and then sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pans on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, then remove muffins from pans to finish cooling completely.  Once cooled, store muffins in an air-tight container to preserve freshness.



I hope you liked them Nicole!  Thank you for being a best friend!

Love always,

No comments:

Post a Comment