Friday, March 15, 2013

The Cutest Carrot Cake

Sometimes in life you make unexpected friends.  My friend Ann is one of them.  I met Ann at Wes when we both signed up to help plan our university's first Relay for Life event.  Little did we know, we would be spending countless hours together the next few years putting the event together almost exclusively by ourselves.  We never saw each other in a social context, only at Relay meetings, which in the spring of our senior year were almost daily.


Then we graduated and parted ways.  A month later, I heard from Ann via Facebook.  She got a social work school placement in Boston, and wanted to know if I had any advice on finding places to live in the city, considering I had just moved here in June.  Little did she know, I was actively searching for housemates for the fall!  And that is the story of how Ann came to be my housemate and one of my closest friends.

Unfortunately, Ann had to change placements in the middle of the school year, and was forced to leave our house and move out to western Mass.  Today is Ann's 23rd birthday, and a bunch of the housemates are driving out to celebrate with her.  I had already made plans to attend another birthday party by the time my housemates' plan developed.  I decided that even if I couldn't go with them, I still wanted to send a little of my birthday love out to Ann.  I chose to make her favorite cake and send it out to her with my housemates, and I'm hoping it survives the treacherous two hour commute.

Carrot Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe adapted from my favorite carrot cake recipe of all time
Yield: 1 double 8" layer cake

I didn't have time to take step-by-step photos because I was in the middle of a baking extravaganza.  Use this post for ingredients, photos, and directions.







I frosted the entire cake with cream cheese frosting and dusted the sides of the cake with walnuts.  I come from the school of "carrot cake should look messy" so I didn't put too much effort into making it look perfect.  Then I dyed some marzipan and shaped it into a carrot, and cut a green Air Head for the top of the carrot.


Ta Da!  The most beautiful and delicious carrot cake ever made!  And it is about to head all the way to western Mass to wish Ann a very Happy Birthday for me.

Happy Birthday, Ann!  I'm so glad we became friends and housemates!  Sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate with you.

Love and cookies,

1 comment:

  1. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. pictures of alabama birthday cakes

    ReplyDelete