Friday, December 21, 2012

Squashing Tradition

My grandmother was a farm-wife during the 50s and 60s.  She fell for all of the new store-bought things to make her life in the kitchen easier.  Don't get me wrong, she still believed in making things from scratch, but if there was an area or two where she could cheat, she did.  One of these areas was using canned pumpkin for pumpkin pie.  Mind you, she only used the best, (Gram loved her Libbys), but she cheated none-the-less.  Since I learned from her, I always made it the same way.

This year, my mom decided that since we were reclaiming our Thanksgiving holiday, we would try something different.  She had the bold idea of not only making a squash pie instead of pumpkin, we would use cooked squash instead of canned.  She spent her whole summer and fall canning and freezing vegetables, so she wanted to use her squash.

I always welcome a challenge in the kitchen, so we made our very first squash pie.


Squash Pie
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
Yield: 1 9" pie (and a little extra)


Ingredients
2 cups strained cooked and mashed squash
1 tsp salt
1 12oz can evaporated milk
2 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

Ingredients
 *Once again, excuse the frozen pie shell.  Since I rushed home from school, I didn't have enough time to make all the pie shells from scratch.  Trust me, I KNOW it wasn't as good as when I make the dough myself.  I won't let it happen again, I promise.*

Make sure your squash is well mashed and there are no lumps
Add in all the other ingredients.
Whisk together until combined.
Ours was still a little lumpy, so we used an immersion blender to make it smoother.
Poor into an unbaked pie shell and bake at 425°F for 45-55 minutes.

We had a little leftover, so we put it in a ramekin.  Great idea!
Allow to cool thoroughly before refrigerating until serving.  Top with fresh whipped cream or ice cream when served.

For my first experiment with squash pie, it was a pretty awesome.  I still love my Libby's pumpkin, but this is a pretty great natural alternative.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment