Sunday, November 18, 2012

Scones and Smiles

The first semester of grad school has been tough.  There has been lots of paper-writing, lots of hair-pulling, lots of reading, lots of medical problems, and lots of crying.  There has been very little socializing, little personal time, and almost no sleep.

Luckily, there has also been a lot of love.  I have found some of the most supportive friends at MSPP, and they have been monumental to me getting through the last few months, even though we rarely see each other outside of class.  Even though I have my amazing family and friends all over the world backing me up, sometimes you just need someone that knows exactly what you are going through at that moment.  I am so grateful to have you people in my life.

The best aspect of MSPP is its incredible sense of community.  One way they establish that is through sharing food and experiences.  Every week in clinical seminar, we take turns bringing in breakfast to share while we talk about cases and professional growth.  Last week was my turn, so I decided to make pumpkin scones!

Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Chip Scones
Recipe adapted from Chew Out Loud
Yield: 16 small scones


Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup cinnamon chips
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk (I used almond), (for brushing)
2 Tbs granulated sugar (for sprinkling)

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients
Cut in butter until the size of small peas
Add in cinnamon chips
In a separate small bowl, whisk together pumpkin and eggs
Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until incorporated and dough forms a ball
 Split into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Cover a plate in plastic wrap or parchment paper, and flatten each dough ball out into a 3/4" thick disk. 
 Place in freezer for 15-30 minutes.  Cut disks into 8 wedges.

Place wedges on parchment-lined baking sheets.  Brush with milk, and sprinkle with sugar
Bake at 425°F for 18-20 minutes.  Cool on pans for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.

The final product!
To all of my friends and new-found family, thank you from the bottom of the heart for helping me through the last 3 months.  I can't wait to see what the next four years hold.  I love you all <3

Love and cookies,

1 comment:

  1. Hannah first off these look delicious!! Second of all I feel like we are in the same boat, this semester has been a rough one on me also, and the only thing that is getting me through is family and friends.

    Love you Big Sis <3

    ReplyDelete