Sunday, October 7, 2012

Housie Happiness

I have 5 wonderful housemates.  They are 5 really amazing girls, and I feel so fortunate to be living with them for the next year.  Unfortunately, I never really see them.  The rare occasions when I am home, I am either studying or sleeping.

We decided to amend this issue by having house dinners together every so-often.  Our first one was a few weeks ago, and Gwynneth and I were the first ones up to the plate (pun intended) to do the cooking.  We decided the easiest to do would be pizza.  Sadly, one of our housemates is gluten-free and lactose intolerant, and pizza isn't exactly the best food for someone with those issues.  So we made Becca her own pizza with gluten-free pizza crust and soy cheese.  It looked a little funny, but she said it was good, (although I think she was just being nice).

For dessert, I wanted to make a dessert pizza, like our dear friend at Wes, Mert the pizza guy, used to make.  It was an apple, cinnamon, cream cheese pizza, and it was to die for.  I wanted Becca to be able to eat it too, so we used the extra gluten-free crust and left out the cream cheese on part of it.

If you can have gluten and dairy, make a real one.  If not, this might be an OK substitute.


Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Cream Cheese Dessert Pizza
Recipe: by the seat of my pants
Yield: 1 large pizza


Ingredients:
1/2 batch of prepared Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza Crust mix
4 Tbs cream cheese
2 small apples (sliced)
2 tsps cinnamon
1/4 cup toffee bits
3 Tbs caramel sauce

Directions:
  1. Spread pizza crust on a lightly-greased pizza pan and bake at 450°F for 6-8 minutes.
  2. Spread cream cheese over crust and top with apples, cinnamon, toffee bits, and caramel.
  3. Bake again at 450°F for another 5-10 minutes, until apples look slightly cooked and soft.
  4. Cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving.

If you want to make the pizza dairy-free too, use a dairy-free cream cheese, like Toffuti, and use a dairy-free caramel sauce.

We gluten-eaters didn't LOVE this, but I think that's because I baked it in too small a pan, so the dough didn't really cook and it was a weird texture.  I am positive if you bake it on a normal pizza pan, it will be much better.

All in all, I would call our first housemate meal a success.  We had tons of awesome pizza, and lots of talking about boys and clothes and sex.  What else would you expect with a house of 6 girls?  I can't wait to see what deliciousness and ridiculousness the next housemate dinner unfolds!  If any of 69 1/2 is reading this, I love you, and thank you for making this house great! <3

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment