Monday, October 29, 2012

Candy Corn Cookies: Take 2

Last fall, I decided to make some fall-themed cookies around Halloween.  AKA- I used candy corn instead of chocolate chips.  It wasn't my brightest venture.  They were awkward and super chewy and the melted candy corn made a huge mess.

I decided to try again this year.  The boyfriend took his GRE, and I decided to make him these as a congratulatory present for him.  I took my own advice from my previous cookie adventure, and made some changes.  They still weren't perfect, but who knows, maybe I'll make them again next year and the third time will be a charm.


Candy Corn Cookies: Take 2
Recipe adapted from here
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  1/2 cup granulated sugar
  1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  1 large egg
1 8oz bag of candy corn
Ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Set aside.
In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugars until smooth
Add egg and vanilla
Gradually stir in dry ingredients until incorporated.  Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 350°F for 6 minutes. 
Remove from oven and drop candy corn on tops of cookies.  Place back in oven and bake for an additional five minutes. 
Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheets on cooling racks for three minutes.  Remove from baking sheets and finish cooling on wire racks until completely cool.

If I were to make them again, I would only bake the candy corn in the cookies for 2-3 minutes.  They are still too melty.  Oh well, third try is a charm.  At least Jay liked them!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment