Friday, September 21, 2012

Throwing Things Together

Normally, when I bake, I like a recipe to follow as a guideline.  Other times, I am in a hurry, and think I have a general idea of what I'm doing.  Sometimes, this works in my favor, and others, the whatever-it-was-that-came-out-of-the-oven-that-in-no-way-shape-or-form-resembles-something-edible ends up in the garbage.

This week was my week to bring breakfast in for my clinical seminar class, and I was faced with the choice of spending a lot of time and making something super delicious and awesome, or actually doing the homework for my classes.  I went with homework this time, (although, you might recall, I normally chose the baked good when I was at Wes), and decided to throw together an apple crisp.  I literally just chopped up some apples, and then threw whatever I thought was supposed to go into apple crisp in the pot.  It's almost metaphorical for my life right now: "just throw everything together, give it time to cook, and hope it comes out OK in the end."

It wasn't a super typical "crisp," but whatever apple hodge-podge it was was pretty darn delicious.  Unfortunately, I don't have a real recipe for you, but I'll give you a general idea of what I did.

Caramel Toffee Apple Crisp
Recipe: THERE WAS NONE!
Yield: 1 large pyrex dish of apple crisp


Ingredients:
1 3lb bag of firm apples (never use red delicious, trust me)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
~1/4 cup all-purpose flour
~1/4 cup dark brown sugar
~1/4 toffee pieces
~1/4 caramel sauce
~1/2 cup rolled oats
As much cinnamon, nutmeg, and all-spice as you wish

Directions:
-Slice apples and throw into a medium saucepan over medium heat with butter
-Saute until lightly browned
-Add in flour, brown sugar, and spices, and allow to cook for another 5 minutes
-Transfer mixture to a large, ungreased baking dish
-Stir in toffee pieces
-Pour caramel sauce liberally over the top, and then sprinkle evenly with oats
-Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350°F, until oats are lightly browned
-Serve warm, preferably with ice cream


Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment