Friday, September 21, 2012

Snickerdoodles for Stacy

A lot of my class of 2012 friends have been doing really brave and exciting things since graduation in May.  Some have gone on to grad school, some have traveled the country, some have moved to cities halfway across the world, some have moved in with significant others for the first time, and some are just brave enough to move home again (which probably takes the most guts of them all!)

One of my best friends in the entire world, Stacy, is one of those brave people that I admire.  She went home to NYC to work for the summer, saved up her money, and then bought a one-way ticket to Chicago.  She had no job, no plan, and moved in with two girls she met on Craigslist, without ever seeing the place beforehand.

I have so much respect for this girl, yet I'm still selfishly sad that she has moved so far away.  She's no longer a 1.5 minute walk from my house at Wes, or even a mere 4-hour bus ride from Boston to NYC.  She's literally a thousand miles away, and I miss her.


Her birthday was last weekend, and unfortunately, I haven't yet come up with a way to ship my birthday cakes.  This means I couldn't send her something as awesome as I made for her last year.  I had just made brownies a few days before, so I decided cookies would probably be the easiest to make and ship quickly.  I didn't have time to go to the store, so I had to settle for what I had on hand, and came up with snickerdoodles. (I was also rushing, so I didn't have time to take step-by-step photos, sorry!)


Snickerdoodles
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book
Yield: 16 large cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 Tbs granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Directions:
-Beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds
-Add the sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar; beat until combined
-Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated
-Stir in the flour until dough is smooth
-Pack dough into a ball with your hands, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one hour
-After dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 375°F
-Combine together remaining sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a shallow bowl
-Scoop up tablespoonfuls of dough, roll them in your hand to form smooth balls, and then roll them completely in the sugar and spice mixture.
-Place on ungreased baking sheets, with at least 2 inches of space in between each
-Bake each tray on the middle rack for 10 minutes
-Cool on tray for 2 minutes, then remove cookies from tray and finish cooling directly on racks


Happy Birthday, Stacy!  I love and miss you tons, and hope all is going well in Chicago!
Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment