Friday, September 21, 2012

Don't Stop Believin' Brownies

For those of you that have had the rare opportunity to speak with me the past few weeks, you know I've started grad school.  You also know that it's taken over my life, and that all I do is go to class, study, and go to my field placement, and go to work.  It's living, but it's not a life.  It's been really difficult to adjust, and it's taken its toll on my mental and physical well-being.  I've been doing a lot of crying, falling asleep at my desk, and have had a pretty lovely virus.

My second week of grad school, I decided I needed to make some brownies.  I didn't really have the time, but sometimes, you just have to make time for the things that make you happy.  Baking and eating brownies are two of those for me.  Between the brownies, the help of my 5 wonderful housemates, my boyfriend, my amazing peers at MSPP, and some strong encouragement from family back home, I am getting better.  I am feeling more hopeful and happier and supported and loved, and I want to thank everyone that has been there for me the last few weeks.  If I make it to my doctorate, it will be because of you amazing people.

I didn't have a whole lot of time to photograph and go step by step, but I am sure you are all incredibly smart people that can figure it out.

Salted Caramel Brownies
Recipe adapted from here
Yield: 1 9x13" pan of brownies (read: 1 serving if you are really upset, or are menstrual)


Ingredients:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsps instant coffee granules
4 Tbs caramel sauce

Directions:
Follow directions on here, except add in the instant coffee granules with the vanilla.  Pour ingredients into a well-greased 9x13" pan, then pour caramel sauce over top and swirl with a toothpick.  Bake for 25 minutes and then cool in pan on a wire rack until completely cool, otherwise they won't cut properly and will be crumbly.  Instantly feel better while consuming.

These brownies, along with the love and support of those around me, have made me believe that I can do this again.  I am going to get through this, I just can't lose hope, (or my baking skills).

First year Clinical PsyD love
Here's hoping you never give up hope.
Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment