Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Carrots and Craziness

As I mentioned in my last post, my life is kind of nuts.  I am super busy with work, trying to find a new job, get everything set for my classes and internship, finish my summer reading, and tie up the loose ends for my new lease in September.  Oh, and I'm also trying to have a tiny bit of a life, and did get to spend the whole weekend in PA with my boyfriend and his sister for a memorial 5k race, so my life isn't all bad.

What is difficult, however, is paying bills.  Since I couldn't find work for 2 months when I moved here, my bank account kind of emptied itself.  Because I am now an adult in the real world (god I miss Wesleyan), I am responsible for paying things like rent and buying groceries with real money.  Being a super saver grocery saver, I love weekly grocery sales.  (The boyfriend thinks I am nuts because I have so much fun looking through grocery coupon catalogs).  Last week, there was a sale on carrots: buy a 2lb bag and get one free!  "Yay!", I thought.  "I love carrots!"  Well, as much as I love carrots, it's kind of hard to go through four lbs by yourself before they go bad.  So I decided I needed to use some of them and bake something.  The following beautiful creation was born:


Semi-healthy Carrot Breakfast Muffins (with coconut flour, walnuts, raisins, and hemp seeds)
Adapted very loosely from my good friend, Betty
Yield: 1 dozen delicious muffins


Ingredients
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 cup milk (as usual, I used almond)
2 cups shredded carrot
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup hemp seeds

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients
Stir in oil, egg, and milk all at once.  Do not over-mix
Stir in shredded carrot, raisins, walnuts, and hemp seeds just until incorporated.  Do not overmix!
Pour by 1/4 cupfulls into well-greased muffin tin
Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes.  Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.  Carefully remove muffins from pan and and finish cooling completely on racks.  Enjoy as is for breakfast, or pop in the microwave for 5-10 seconds and add butter or cream cheese (takes away the health-factor, but it's worth it).


I hope everyone is having a marvelous summer.  I can't believe it's almost over!  I promise I'll bake something else this week.  It will probably involve more carrots...

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment