Thursday, August 30, 2012

Baked Blasphemy

Jay, (the boyfriend), and I have a lot of similar likes and dislikes.  The type of cookie we like is NOT one of them.  I like soft, super chewy, salty chocolate chip cookies.  He likes, as painful as it is to say, crispy cookies (dramatic music and thunder in the background).  To me, there is nothing sadder than having a cookie craving, and getting a cookie that makes crunching noises when you eat it.  Normally, I am so heartbroken that I throw it out after one bite.  Crispy cookies are absolutely blasphemous in my world.  But for some bizarre reason, they are my boyfriend's favorite.

I told Jay when we met that I would NEVER allow a crispy cookie to come out of my oven, unless I forgot a batch in the oven and burnt them.  Well, sometimes, people do crazy things for love.  That crazy thing for me was type "crispy chocolate chip cookie recipe" into my search bar yesterday.  Don't worry, fellow bakers and chewy-cookie-lovers, I haven't gone soft, (well, I guess in this place it would be hard), but Jay needed some cheering up.  He is deciding on whether or not to take a new job, and is pretty stressed out about it.  I decided to make him his favorite cookies for support.  (Everyone that knows my distaste for crispy cookies should be applauding my selflessness right now).


Crispy Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe adapted from the Food Network Kitchens
Yield: 24 large cookies


Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt (coarse kosher is my new favorite for cookies)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp water
2 large eggs
5 oz roughly chopped chocolate (semisweet or dark)

Roughly chop the chocolate (if it is too fine, it will melt)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, oil, and sugars until smooth (about 3-5 minutes)
Add vanilla and water until combined, then stir in eggs one at a time until combined.  Slowly stir in dry ingredients until incorporated.
Stir in chocolate by hand.
Drop by tablespoonfuls on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, about 2-3" apart.  Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until golden brown and beginning to crisp.  Don't worry if they are still soft, they will harden as they cool.

Allow to cool completely on wire racks
 The final product:
Super flat and crisp
OK, I will admit: I DID try them.  They had awesome flavor, but I will never be a fan of crispy cookies.  I will stick to my super chewies...

Soon I'll post again and update you all on the start of my graduate program, which I absolutely love, and my new housemates, when they move in this weekend!  Life is really looking up, and I hope the end of your summers are as well!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment