Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Bad Day Brownies

Today was a bad day, for almost every person in my house.  JoJo and Suzie both had really stressful days at work, and Lilly had to figure out how to get a physical without health insurance.  I went for an absolutely miserable shopping trip, and ended up getting epically lost, and maxed out my credit card.  Today was a really bad Tuesday.  It was so bad, in fact, that even coffee couldn't cheer me up (I'm kind of like an addict, and every time I'm upset I drink coffee, kind of like an alcoholic turns to booze at the end of a really bad day).  I went to Starbucks, and shortly afterwards, I was in tears.

I eventually survived my trip, and got my necessary clothes for my new job.  When I got home, I flopped on my bed and blasted Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah until I could collect my thoughts.  I had to plan how to bring me out of this funk.  I tried dinner, which was delicious leftover sesame peanut noodles (from my really fun date last night) on top of tons of spinach, and the rest of Nick Campiglia's apple raspberry wine.  That should have done the trick, but it wasn't enough.  I still felt out of it.  There is only one thing to bring an entire house out of a funk that bad: brownies.

When I was waiting forever at the library to print my insurance papers, and sadly watching a man have a psychotic breakdown, I found a cookie book, (forgot the name- sorry), completely out of place on one of the shelves.  It was clearly meant for me to see.  I flipped through it, and a recipe for overnight brownies caught my eye.  Apparently, if you let the brownie batter sit in the pan overnight in the fridge, the flour and cocoa are hydrated, and you end up with moister, more delicious brownies.  Of course, TODAY was the bad day, not tomorrow, so I decided to let the batter sit for 2 hours in the fridge, and said it was good enough.  We needed those brownies stat.

I also took a really blurry picture of the ingredients on my phone, so I kind of just guessed at whatever I couldn't read.

Bad Day Brownies
Recipe kind of adapted from a recipe in a random cookie book in the library, but mostly made up
Makes 1 8x8" pan of brownies (aka- not a lot if everyone is upset)

Super fudgey and amazing

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 heaping cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 tsps vanilla 
1/2 tsp instant coffee granules

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
Over low heat, melt and simmer butter for two minutes.  Remove from heat.
Add cocoa and stir until melted, then add sugar and instant coffee
Add egg, egg whites, and vanilla.  Stir until smooth
Slowly fold in flour until combined
Pour batter into an 8x8" pan lined with foil.  Decorate whichever way will make you smile most.  I chose white chocolate chips arranged in a heart
Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for as long as your patience will allow.
 Bake at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes.  Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

FEEL BETTER!
Making these while being surrounded by my wonderful housemates cheered me up so much.  It's so comforting to be reminded that I all I need to do is put butter, sugar, flour, and chocolate in a bowl, and be with people I love, to bring me back to my center.  I haven't even tried them yet, and I am already calm, relaxed, and happy.  (Update: I have tried them, and they may be better than any orgasm I've ever had.)  This is what I do; this is what I love.  Then why in the world am I going to school for another four years?  Who knows.  Something about helping people...

Hope your Tuesday was better than ours at 69 1/2!  If not, make these, they'll fix it.

Love and cookies,

1 comment:

  1. These look amazing, Hannah.

    I'm sorry you had such a bad day--I hate bad days, and I really fear them all the time. But you're so right--it's amazing how buttersugarflour can just change everything.

    Hope you've only had good days since :)

    Dana

    ReplyDelete