Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mistake Macaroons

Last night was our last class for our student forum on translation.  We were having a mini-fiesta/wrap-up session and all brought snacks.  I really wanted to bake something, but Tuesday was a pretty busy/exhausting day, and I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before.  I was totally drained, but had already committed to making something, so I decided to pull together some strength and make some cookies.  I'm still trying to use up what I have in my cupboards, and what did I find but a big bag of shredded coconut?  I thought, MACAROONS!  Perfect; they are easy and fast to make.  Only problem is I think macaroons are boring on their own.  They need a little extra something.  The last time I made them, I used slivered almonds. 

My favorite ones are from Linda's Sweet Memories Bakery, and hers have a cherry on top.  I drove up to the campus grocery store to get maraschino cherries.  Some jerk cut me off just as I was turning into the parking lot and took the last of only four parking spaces.  I was in a hurry so I parked illegally, and ran into Weshop so I could get in and out before I got ticketed.  Of course, they didn't have maraschino cherries, so I decided dried cherries would have to do.  I found the stack of them on the shelf, grabbed one off the top, waited in line, paid for it, and rushed home.  As my luck would have it, when I pulled the container out of the bag, I realized that I had actually grabbed dried blueberries which were in the wrong stack instead.  I wasn't going back there, so I figured they'd have to do.  And you know what?  They were a hit.  Win.

Coconut Macaroons w/ Dried Blueberries
Recipe adapted from here
Yield: 4 dozen macaroons


Ingredients
14 ounces unsweetened shredded coconut 
2/3 cup granulated sugar
6 Tbs flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
2 tsps coconut rum
1/2 cup dried blueberries

Ingredients
Whisk together dry ingredients.  Add in egg whites and rum until all the coconut is coated.
Take a round tablespoon and place a blueberry in the center
Firmly press the coconut mixture on top of the blueberry, packing it firmly.  You may need to wash your hands several times throughout this process; it's very sticky!
Carefully twist the macaroon out of the spoon and place on an ungreased baking sheet with 1" of space in between; they won't spread out
Bake at 325°F for 15-20 minutes, until the coconut is lightly browned.  Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire racks

For not being what I originally intended, they weren't really that bad.  I actually liked them a lot (evident by the fact that I have probably eaten 10 by now).  This whole chocolate-allergy-thing is really sucking, because I keep eating mass quantities of other foods to fill the void chocolate has left in my heart and stomach.  But no matter how many white chocolate chips or coconut macaroons I eat, it's just not the same...  I wonder if they have a 12-step program for chocoholics...

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment