Friday, May 18, 2012

Finally All Legal

Our entire house is finally legal.  Chandra and I are the old ladies that are 22, the other Hannah had her 21st birthday last month, and now, the last of the four is finally legal.  Leah completed 21 years of life on Monday, but unfortunately her birthday fell during finals.  We didn't have time to bake for her until after I finished my LAST UNDERGRADUATE PAPER (sorry, really felt the need to emphasize that), so we made her a belated birthday pie.

I didn't really know what to make her, and then I remembered that I had a bag of last summer's elderberries in the freezer.  Now, I've never had an elderberry, but back home, they are considered gold.  They are really hard to come by, and even more difficult to pick and sort, so elderberry pies are cherished in my family.  I decided that since Leah is a huge foodie, (she just recently started her own food blog!), she is one of the only people I know that would appreciate the rarity of this strange berry.

Stacy and I really just improvised with this pie, and Leah ate it with her friends, so I'm not really sure how it turned out.  I hope it was ok!

Elderberry Pie w/ Crumb Topping
Recipe from innate pie genius


Crust Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs water

Cut shortening into flour and salt.  Add water until dough will form a ball
 I was too lazy to roll out the crust, so I just pressed it in with my fingers.  It worked.

Filling Ingredients
2 cups elderberries
6 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbs corn starch
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsps lemon juice
2 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into tiny cubes

Gently stir together ingredients and pour into pie shell.  Dot with butter and cover with crumb topping mixture (4 Tbs softened butter creamed together with 4 Tbs brown sugar + 6 Tbs all-purpose flour cut in).  Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes, until filling is bubbly and crust and topping are golden brown.


Now that finals are done, I am done with undergrad, and graduate a week from Sunday.  Let the fun begin!!!

Happy 21st, Leah!
Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment