Saturday, May 5, 2012

Black(berry) Beauty

This week was my friend Heidi's 22nd birthday.  Heidi and I have a lot in common.  She does ballet, loves horses (rides on the equestrian team), and her name also starts with H!  Heidi is a lot of fun, and she always has something to say that will make you laugh.  She is also such a naturally sweet person, that I didn't think a cake would be appropriate.  I decided that a pie would much better reflect her personality.  Although I really hate making pies out of season of the fruit they feature, I decided to make an exception since I had a bag of blackberries in my freezer that I had picked over the summer. 

Of course, I can't make just a plain, boring, blackberry pie.  This is a birthday pie, so it has to be special.  I decided to dress it up with some coconut, mainly because that is what I had in my cupboards.  I present to you:


Blackberry Coconut Pie w/ Crumb Topping
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker


Crust Ingredients (for an 8" 1-crust pie)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 Tbs vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp salt

Crust Directions
Put flour and salt in a medium bowl, and then cut in coconut oil and shortening until the size of small peas.  Then mix together into a ball with your hands.  If it is too dry, add 1-2 Tbs cold water.  Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.  Because coconut oil becomes very hard when cold, stick it in the microwave for 5 seconds when you take it out of the refrigerator.  Coconut oil makes a very soft crust, so you can't roll it out.  Flatten it out on a floured surface with your hands into a flat disc and transfer to pie plate.  Press dough up the sides with your fingers until the entire plate is covered.  Prick the crust with a fork to prevent bubbling while baking.  Set aside to make the filling.


Filling Ingredients
Four cups frozen blackberries (thawed and drained)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbs coconut rum
5 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbs unsalted butter

Gently toss all ingredients except butter together and pour into pie shell.  Then dot with butter
Crumb Topping Ingredients
6 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
6 Tbs brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Cream together butter and sugar. Cut in flour and coconut
Sprinkle crumb topping liberally over pie
Bake at 425°F for 35-40 minutes until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown.  Cool on wire rack until completely cool.



It ended up being pretty soupy, and the crust wasn't really cooked all the way, but it still tasted ok. If you make this, I would suggest adding a tablespoon of lemon juice; it needed a little extra tartness for balance.

Happy Birthday, Heidi!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment