Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Healthy Birthday!

My friend, Stacy, and I have both recently decided that we are eating way too much sugar to be healthy.  I've noticed I typically consume some form of sugar or dessert 2-3 times a day, and lately, I've been noticing blood-sugar related headaches and dizziness.  That isn't good.  Both Stacy and I have a family history of diabetes, and it's time we turn our lives around.  We're trying to help each other through it.

One of my best friends from home, Christina, celebrated her 22nd birthday last week.  Usually, I'd send some sort of baked good to arrive on my friend's birthday.  Unfortunately, I had to send her a belated gift this year because all my baking supplies were at school.  When I went into the kitchen to bake  today, I was craving sugar.  Sometimes I really feel like an addict; I start shaking and opening all the cupboards, searching for something sweet.  Luckily, I anticipated this ahead of time and did not buy anything sugary on my last grocery run.  I decided that I would probably not be safe around a large amount of cookie dough this morning, so I chose to make Christina some healthy granola instead.  My poor friends, whenever I'm on a health-kick, they are too, whether they like it or not.


I pretty much just threw whatever I had in my cupboards into a bowl with some maple syrup and a few tablespoons of coconut oil.  This granola has oats, raisins, craisins, chopped almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.


For the procedure, I roughly followed this one from Joy of Baking.



It is now happily on its way to Rochester to brighten Christina's day (or at least her yogurt!).


Happy Belated Birthday, Best Friend!

Love and cookies,

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much best friend! I had a handful and it was delicious! I can't wait to have it with yogurt for breakfast tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete