Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cookies for a Cause

These cookies mark my 5th baking adventure in a week's time.  I made two separate batches of the coconut chocolate chunk cookies on Monday and Tuesday, then Greta's cake Thursday and Friday, Tiramisu on Saturday, and now these little beauties on Sunday.

Even though I had a very busy day and was pretty tired after an AMAZING St. Patty's themed Zumba® class, I decided to whip up a quick batch of cookies for a bake sale.  My friends, Tresne and Katie, started a student group called Students for Sayaxche, which supports the partnership between Middlesex Hospital and Sayaxche Hospital in Guatemala.  We spent our last student forum class (titled Issues in International Health Partnerships) talking with Luis, an EMT/ER tech who is helping to lead volunteer medical trips.  Seeing as I have absolutely no services to offer in the medical field/have a fainting disorder which would make me pass out probably 4 times a day, I've decided the best way for me to support them and their initiatives is by baking to support their bake sale tonight.

I was too sore to go to Weshop to buy any more ingredients, (I'm still nursing a back injury), so I just used whatever ingredients I had on hand, and came up with these:


Giant Cinnamon Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from The Cookie Bible

Yield: 20 large cookies
Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)
1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsps vanilla
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
6 oz peanut butter baking chips (feel free to use a whole bag, I just only had half)

Ingredients
Cream together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well-blended
Beat in dry ingredients except oats and chips
Fold in oats and peanut butter chips
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto un-greased baking sheets
Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes.

Cool on pans for 3 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling

If you would like more information on how to contribute to Students for Sayaxche's mission, contact Tresne (thernandez@wesleyan.edu) or Katie (kwagner@wesleyan.edu)!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment