Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sushi Serenity

Tomorrow is the 3-year anniversary of the worst day of my life: the day I lost my best friend, Kurtis.  February 24th and the days leading up to it have been pretty difficult for me the past 2 years, and this year was no exception.  In addition to all the stress of trying to choose a grad school and overextending myself, I have been trying to grasp the passing of three entire years since that 5am phone call that changed my life forever.  To say that I've been a complete emotional wreck the past 2 weeks would be a bit of an understatement.


Over the years, I've found that the best way to cope with the loss of someone you loved that much is to surround yourself with the love of those that are still here.  Love is not something I'm short of these days.  I am so fortunate to have some of the greatest friends and the most supportive family anyone could ask for.

Birthdays are special events that tend to multiply all the love that's floating around.  A birthday is a marking of the passing of time that is completely different from New Years.  New Years seems to represent renewal, a chance to start over.  New Years is the time to forget all the bad parts of the past year and give yourself a fresh start.  Birthdays, however, mark the continuation of time.  They are milestone markers to celebrate all the things you've accomplished in a year.  A birthday is a celebration of life and having lived it with the people you love.

My new friend, Alyssa, had a birthday today, and it's proven to be a great way to get me through this week.  She and the rest of our friends decided on a three-day celebration, aka, Rassi Fest 2012.  Last night, we all went out for all-you-can-eat-sushi at Sushi Palace in Hamden and then bar night on Main Street.  Tonight we celebrated with dirt cups and sushi cakes, and tomorrow night is the big fiesta.  Being a part of all this birthday love is helping to remind me of how fortunate I am to still be here, surrounded by dozens of people that I love.

As much as I love Alyssa, I didn't really have the energy to do an all-out cake this week.  I decided to replicate a cake made by my baking twin and fellow blogger, Meg.  I have been wanting to make this cake for a year and a half, but just never had the right occasion.  When I found out that Alyssa loves sushi, I knew I had to make it for her.


Sushi Cake (AKA- Rice Krispie Treat)
Replicated from Meg's sushi cake for Jillian

Ingredients:
6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
3 Tbs butter
10 oz marshmallows
Assorted candy for decorating:
Fruit Roll-ups
Air heads
Sweedish Fish
Oreo filling and food coloring
Frosting (to use as glue)

Ingredients
Melt butter over low heat.  Add marshmallows and stir until melted.  Remove from heat.
Add cereal and stir until combined.  Press into well-greased or lined molds of desired shapes.  Wait until completely cooled, then remove from molds.  Decorate as you wish.  We cut up purple fruit roll-ups and used them for the seaweed, shredded an orange AirHead for the pickled ginger, and dyed the Oreo filling green for the wasabi.  Get creative.

Me and Emma in a decorating frenzy


a very happy birthday girl
Alyssa- you're a wonderful person, and I'm so glad we finally met and became friends this year.  Happy Birthday, chica.

Friends and family- thank you for being there when I need you most and every day in between.

Kurtis- not one single day of the last 3 years has been easy, but I'm going to keep pushing forward.  I've dedicated my future to your memory, and promise I won't let you down.  I love you.

Love and memories,

1 comment: