Monday, February 27, 2012

Oxy-cookie-done


I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I have a super power.  I seem to have this incredible ability to get sick or injured at the most inconvenient times possible.  Right now, I am teaching 4 Zumba® classes a week, and I managed to either tear or seriously pull a muscle in my lower back.  It could have been the 7-mile outdoor run I did on Thursday, or the super-intense Zumba® class on Friday, or a combination of the two.  Whatever the cause, I've spent the last 2 days hobbling around like a little 80-yr-old woman with osteoporosis.  Today, the pain was unbearable, and nothing I did seemed to help, so I reached for an Oxycodone I had left over from last semester's idiopathic pain episode.  As helpful as this was for my back, (and my mood!), it kind of took away all hopes for productivity.  So, instead of doing my readings, I decided to bake some cookies instead!

A few weeks ago, I had to go to San Francisco for a grad school interview, and promised that I would make cookies for whoever covered my shifts in the mail room.  My dear friend Mel came through for me, as she always does, so I decided to make her some cookies as a way to say "thank you."

She and I have had several conversations about language, like how certain phrases mean different things in different languages, or how some words don't exist or aren't translatable to other languages, or how the languages we use shape our personalities.  When I decided to translate "thank you" from English to cookie, I came up with this:

Coconut Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe adapted from The Cookie Bible
Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 12oz bar unsweetened chocolate (I used Ghiradelli)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Ingredients (I ended up using only one bar of chocolate)
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, and vanilla.  Then beat in the egg.
Slowly mix in the flour*
*My dough stuck inside the beaters, and I had to pry it out with a spatula, so don't be alarmed if your dough is super sticky.  It needs to be that consistency in order for the chocolate and coconut to adhere properly to the dough.
Coarsely chop the chocolate.  You want slightly larger chunks, because if they are too small they will disinigrate and you will have chocolate cookies instead of chocolate chunk.
Stir in chocolate chunks and coconut until thoroughly combined
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 8 minutes
Cool for 2 minutes on pan, then finish cooling on wire racks
Enjoy!
To me, these cookies not only say "thank you," they scream HAPPYTHANKYOUMOREPLEASE!  Which, by the way, also one of my favorite movies of all time.

So thank you, Mel, for covering my shifts, and for being amazing.

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment