Monday, January 30, 2012

Rewind: Rum Balls

This year is supposed to be a good year.  Since New Years' Day, I have been happy.  I like where my life is and where it's going.  I have felt free of stress and worry and drama.

Today, the stress came back.  It hit me that I am a second semester senior, I am fighting my way into classes, I don't like any of the ones I am enrolled in, I can't find a space for my Zumba® class, and a 4-hour Monday shift in the mail room starting at 8am will kill anyone.  Today I felt a tug away from the good place I've been the last few weeks.  Then, after dinner, I decided that this time, I'm just not going to let it happen.  Nope, I'm going to hit REWIND and not let it get to me.  I've come too far to break down so early in the semester.  I've found my happiness, and I plan to keep it.

So, in true Hannah-fashion, I decided to combat my emotional problems with a mixing bowl.  Instead of doing my homework and letting my anger build up, I poured all of my frustration and stress into a batch of rum balls.  My friend, Justin, asked me if angry baked goods taste better than regular baked goods.  I answered yes, I think they do, because there is more passion in them.  I am a firm believer that nothing in life is worth anything without passion.  That being said, these are going to be some freaking good rum balls...

My friend and Zumba® sister, Carol, gave me the recipe for her grandmother's rum balls.  Because they combine two of my favorite things, cookies and rum, I've always been a huge fan of the things.  I've been waiting for just the right occasion to make them, and I figured that since I was stressed and just happened to have all of the ingredients for a slightly adapted version in my cupboards, that tonight was the night.  So, without further ado, my adaptation on Carol's grandma's recipe.


Chocolate, Coconut & Cashew Rum Balls
Recipe adapted (a lot) from Carol's grandmother's cookbook



Ingredients
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped cashews
2 Tbs cocoa powder
2 Tbs light corn syrup
1/3 cup coconut rum
Extra cocoa powder, confectioners' sugar, or shredded coconut for rolling

Ingredients
Finely chop the cashews
Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a bowl
Add corn syrup and rum and stir until all the dry ingredients are well-coated
Roll tablespoonfuls of dough in your hand and form smooth balls
Roll in shredded coconut, powdered sugar, or cocoa powder
Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days before serving.  This will be the hard part for me.  I have no patience, especially when it comes to balls of chocolatey rum goodness.  Unfortunately, Carol assured me this is a crucial step, so I'm going to wait.


The best part is that these are super easy, take no time to make, are no-bake, and if you use the right graham cracker crumbs, they are vegan!  Hello, little balls of heaven...

After I made them, I felt better.  I felt centered and grounded and calm.  I'm ready to tackle anything.  FASFA application, emails, piles of homework, choreography, bring it on.  And if any of these things wear me down again, I now have a tiny arsenal of rum balls to get me through :)

Wishing everyone a happy Monday and a fantastic rest of the week!
Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment