Friday, December 16, 2011

Special Cookies for Special People

I have been dreaming about chocolate cookies for about 2 months now.  I have been baking up a storm and just never found the time to make these.  There were always birthday cakes to bake and things to do for other people.  Well, I still haven't found the time to bake for me, but I finally made my chocolate cookies on Wednesday night.

My friend, Emma, and I were TAs for BIO 131: Service Learning at Connecticut Valley Hospital.  This was our first experience as TAs, and we really loved our students.  We wanted to thank them for a wonderful semester, so we threw them a little study break party with cookies, tea, and lots of gummy peach rings that Emma's housemates commandeered while drunk.  I had been waiting for a very special occasion to make these cookies, and decided that dessert after a dinner with three of my dearest friends and then the study break with our students were the perfect events to warrant their chocolatey glory.  My friends and I made the cookies and dinner simultaneously, so they were really just thrown together.  I also had to use my terrible nonstick cookie sheets, which resulted in burned bottoms.  I really have to throw those things out...

Brownie-like Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe adapted from The Cookie Bible



Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) Earth Balance (vegan butter substitute)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 8 oz bar semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped (to make them completely dairy-free, use vegan chocolate)

Ingredients
Whisk together dry ingredients (not sugars).
Beat together butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy.
Add eggs and vanilla.
Gradually mix in flour until well-combined.
Stir in chocolate chunks.
Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.
Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookies

These cookies are my favorite chocolate cookies because they are like brownie-cookie hybrids.  They have a texture somewhere between a chewy brownie and a light, fluffy cookie.  In other words, they are amazing.  And even though the bottoms were black because I desperately need better cookie sheets, everyone loved them and said they were great.  I'm not sure if they were just saying it to be nice because I wasn't feeling well, or if they really meant it, or if they were just saying it because we haven't looked over their final papers yet...

To those of you that are still powering through final exams and papers, keep plugging along.  You can do it!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment