Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake Presents

I know I said last time that I was starting to put my life back together after the Snowpocalypse, but I'm slowly finding out that it's a rather slow process.  Things just don't feel the same after the lights came back on.  I still have an inordinate amount of school work to do, a bunch of exams are coming up, I have to plan my schedule for my last semester at Wes, and the boyfriend and I broke up.

On Saturday, I was in quite the funk, so much so that I laid in a motionless, unresponsive heap on the middle of my living room floor for a good 30 minutes.  I was searching for a reason to bake, so I decided to make something for an animal welfare club bake sale.  (I've been on their list serve since sophomore year, and have never done anything with them, but I was desperate for an excuse to bake).  I've been eying this mini pumpkin cheesecake recipe for quite some time now, and made it with the clients at the RVS outpatient wellness center on Wednesday.  They turned out OK, but I really wanted to try them again in my own kitchen.

My friend and baking partner in crime, Annika, came over to assist with the process, and to catch up on our lives.  Even though we forgot to add the sugar because we were too busy venting about boys, and had to swirl it in each individual cup with toothpicks, I think they turned out well.  It was also an incredibly therapeutic experience that both Annika and I desperately needed.

Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes w/ Gingersnap Crusts
Recipe adapted from the Yummy Mummy Kitchen.

Ingredients
1 bag ginger snap cookies
4 eggs
2 8 oz packages cream cheese, room temperature
2 8 oz packages low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar 
1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg

Ingredients (missing brown sugar)
Beat cream cheese until soft and fluffy.  Add all other ingredients and beat until smooth.
Line muffin pans with liners, place one ginger snap at the bottom of each, and fill cups 2/3 the way full with batter.  Sprinkle a teaspoon of brown sugar on top of each and swirl in with a toothpick.
If desired, top with caramel sauce.
Bake at 300°F for 20 minutes.  Cool in pans on wire racks.  Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.  (Makes about 40 mini cheesecakes).

About an hour after they came out of the oven, I received an email saying that the bake sale was cancelled due to a shortage of bakers.  Just my luck, right?  I decided to share the love and gave them away to my co-workers and our Middletown neighbors to celebrate the fact that we all survived the Black Out.  Well, in my case I guess it's still to-be-determined if I survived it or not...

Happy cheesecake baking!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment