Sunday, October 9, 2011

Feeling Fall (Candy Corn Cookies)

The leaves are finally changing colors, and I've finally taken the time to take a deep breath and notice them.  This week has been a pretty intense roller-coaster ride for me emotionally, but each meaningful experience I had helped me to find a better grounding.  Sometimes I fall into a Wesleyan bubble and focus on nothing else but my school work.  I forget that I have friends to stay in touch with, a family that loves me, and a world to be a part of.  After stepping away from it all for a while and re-evaluating my priorities, I'm ready to tackle the next two weeks until Fall Break.

All this talk of fall and the leaves changing has me in a very nostalgic mood for my favorite season.  I am in love with all things fall.  The apple cider, the leaf piles, the homemade donuts, the Halloween costumes, apple picking, and yes, I must admit, even the candy.  I decided to make the boyfriend a fall-themed treat for when he gets back from his army class (ON THURSDAY!!), so, feeling a little adventurous after my last baking-with-candy adventure, I was ready to tackle another challenge: candy corn cookies! 

Candy Corn Cookies
Recipe adapted from The Cookie Bible.
Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 8oz bag of candy corn (roughly chopped)

Ingredients
Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.  Set aside.
Cream together butter, sugars, and vanilla.  Add eggs one at a time until combined.
Roughly chop candy corn.  It WILL be a sticky mess, so make sure you have a sharp knife.
Slowly add flour to bowl, then fold in candy corn.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (parchment paper is a MUST on these, unless you want to ruin your pans with orange and yellow goop)
Bake at 375°F for 9 minutes.  Let cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer pan to freezer for 5 minutes.  Remove carefully and allow to finish cooling completely on a wire rack.
The final product
All ready to go!
These definitely weren't my brightest idea, but I'm not sure they were my biggest baking failure, either.  I really didn't think the candy corn would melt as much as they did.  They ended up melting almost completely and turned into little pieces of yellow and orange stained glass.  Oh well, they still taste pretty wonderful.  I hope Dan and his friends like them.

If you are going to try these at home, I might suggest baking the cookie dough first, and then inserting the candy corns into the top for the last two minutes or so.  Hopefully all this baking with candy will give some of you ideas of what to do with all that Halloween candy you will be accumulating in the next few weeks...

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment