Tuesday, September 13, 2011

New Neighbor Cookies

After a failed first attempt at baking something to give to our neighbors, my housemates and I decided to try again.
146 High-Class
Dan the told me that he first developed a crush on me when I sent him a care package of cookies, and that it was my famous oatmeal raisins that won him over.  My housemates and I decided that if my cookies are good enough to earn me a boyfriend, then they must be good enough to win over our neighbors.  We used the tried-and-true recipe from my favorite childhood cookbook, reproduced in the care package post, but doubled it and then instead of raisins we added dried cranberries to half the dough and chocolate chips to the other.  I also made them much smaller than usual, to assure we had enough to give away.  Aside from some slight burning on the bottoms due to a bad cookie sheet, they turned out really well, and now we have a potluck with our neighbors on Sunday!

Oatmeal Cranberry and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients (for doubled recipe):

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cups quick rolled oats
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips
4 Tbs granulated sugar (for rolling)
Ingredients (oats are missing)
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, minus the sugars and oats
In a large mixing bowl, beat sugars, eggs, butter, and vanilla on medium until combined
Suzie the sunbeam (my therapist) happily working away in her new home
Add dry ingredients to the wet.  Then mix in oats
Divide dough in half. Add cranberries to one bowl and chocolate chips to the other
Use the same technique as described here.  Roll dough into Tbs size balls, roll one half in granulated sugar, place apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets, and then press down with the bottom of a glass.


Bake at 325°F for 8-10 minutes
Cool on sheets for 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks
Slightly burned bottoms.  It's ok, we'll master this oven yet.

Now that I've gotten some sufficient baking out of my system, it's time to crack back down on those grad school applications!  Good thing I have a few leftover cookies to help me get through them...  Stay tuned for Stacy's birthday cake this weekend!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment