Sunday, September 25, 2011

Crazy Dietary Cakes

It seems as though all of my friends at Wes have come back with new food allergies and dietary restrictions.  At least four have come back being dairy- and gluten-free.  It seems to me that we have switched places.  I used to be a vegan that almost never ate carbs.  Now the basis of my diet is yogurt and cereal.

I am never afraid of a baking challenge, but when birthdays come up for these poor people that can't have flour or butter, finding a cake to suit them can be slightly problematic.  My friend, Annika, approached me this week and asked for help baking a cake for her housemate with these crazy dietary restrictions.  Luckily, she'd already decided to make her a flourless chocolate cake, so I was spared having to invent a recipe.  I helped her find a good one on Foodgawker, and eventually found this very simple yet elegant recipe, with only three ingredients!

Annika and I don't get to spend much time together, so this was a great time for us to bond and catch up.  After we made the cake, we even snuck in a great Zumba Fitness® session in my living room!

Flourless Chocolate Cake
Recipe adapted from here.

Ingredients:
8 large eggs
16 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 sticks Earth Balance (or other butter substitute)

Ingredients
My super-complex egg-separating system.  Cracking one at a time over one bowl and then transferring each into the mixing bowl ensures you won't ruin the all the eggs if one egg is bad or you get shells.
Line the bottom of a spring-form pan with parchment paper and then grease the sides.
Beat eggs until doubled in size.
Food scales come in handy when you need 16oz of chocolate chips and they only come in 12oz packages.
Melt Earth Balance and chocolate chips over a double boiler until smooth.
Once smooth, remove from heat.
Fold in eggs, 1/3 at a time.
When finished, the batter should be smooth.
Pour into pan and bake at 325°F for 25-30 minutes.  (Original recipe recommends using a water bath, but I find this step unnecessary and inconvenient, so I never do).
Remove from oven when the top is still slightly jiggly but bounces back when you touch it.
The cake is supposed to sink.  Don't worry.

I couldn't be there for the presentation of this cake, but Annika took pictures for me, and assured me that it was delicious.



I highly recommend this recipe to anyone else with strange dietary restrictions.  It is very easy to make, and it's so decadent that no one else will be able to tell that it's dairy- and gluten-free!

Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment