Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Procrastination Pie


I don't really consider myself a good college student, because I'm really bad at one crucial skill: procrastination.  I am normally really good at getting things done well ahead of schedule.  After talking with my friend Jake, I realized I really have to get back to work studying for my GRE, which I am taking exactly one month from today.  When I finally got a few quiet minutes to myself, I started doing a few practice sections.  Well, it didn't go so well.  On the math I got 8 out of 20 correct, and on the verbal, 12 out of 20.  Needless to say, after all my studying I was pretty frustrated and cranky, so I haven't really had the desire to go back to it yet.  Today was the perfect rainy afternoon to study, but I was still feeling pretty defeated.  When my family not-so-subtly hinted to me that they would like a pie ("Gee Hannah, why don't you make us a pie?"), I jumped at the opportunity to occupy my time with something other than Pythagorean theorems and critical analyses. 

My grandma's good friend, Carol, comes to visit every other day.  Every time she comes to visit, she brings us a batch of fresh peaches that they have driven to Sunnycrest Orchard straight from Georgia.  Well, we've been on a bit of a peach-overload.  We have so many we don't know what to do with.  Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, except that now it's still blueberry season, so we also have a ton of blueberries to eat.  (Today we went to the patch and picked 32 LBS!)  I decided to use up a little of both, and made a peach and blueberry pie.  I took the recipe straight from my good friend Betty, and followed it exactly except for the addition of the berries.


Peach & Blueberry Pie

Ingredients
2 Pie Crusts:
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup + 2 Tbs vegetable shortening
4 Tbs cold water

Whisk together flour and salt.  (I HATE sifting flour, so I've found a way to cheat: whisking it!)
Cut in shortening
Add water and mix with hands until mixture forms a flaky ball.
Divide dough in half
Flour surface and rolling pin well.
Roll out in a shape as close to a circle as possible.
Gently fold in half.
Fold again.
Transfer to pie plate and unfold.  Then patch holes with excess dough from sides. Ta Da!

Filling:
Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
5 Tbs all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 cups fresh peaches (should be slightly on the firmer side)
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
2 Tbs butter

Peel and slice peaches.
As gross as it is, I ate ALL the skins.  Yay fiber!
Add blueberries, sugar, flour, and cinnamon.  Mix gently with hands.
Transfer to pie shell and dot with butter.
Cheating Lattice-Top Assembly:
Roll out second dough ball and slice in 3/4" strips.

Gently place over pie in criss-cross pattern
Remove excess and place remaining dough around the edge to seal the crust.
Bake in 425°F oven for 25-35 minutes until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown.  Cool on wire rack.


This pie got thumbs-ups across the board.  My grandfather really liked it, my grandma actually ate a bite (she doesn't really eat anything these days) and said it was perfect, my mom raved about it, and I actually stared at the pie and confessed my love for it.  Ok, that might be a little extreme, but it is one amazing pie.

I had a little leftover dough, so I decided to throw some stuff together and I made a little baby blueberry pie with a crumb topping for our friend, Cindy.  I didn't really measure for this one, I was kind of just experimenting, so hopefully it turned out alright.  Happy Birthday, Cindy!

Baby Blueberry Pie with Crumb Topping
Get out there and pick some berries!
Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment