Friday, July 29, 2011

Bye-Bye Blueberry Pie

Unfortunately, once again, I don't have a super positive life update.  My grandma has stopped eating and rarely speaks, and when she does, hallucinates.  I used to work as direct support staff for disabled individuals.  Some of them were basically vegetables.  When I worked with those people, I had no trouble accepting their condition, because that is how I met them, in that condition.  I cannot describe how hard it has been for me to watch my grandma's transition to that state.  The few times she does look me in the eye, all I see is fear and confusion, knowing that she is losing her mind and her life simultaneously.  I have stood by and watched as the cancer has stripped her of her mobility, her dignity, and now, her sanity.

Given that she's awake for so few minutes a day, and barely speaking anymore, we've decided that it's time to start calling her friends to have them visit if they would like to see her conscious one last time to say their goodbyes.  This has been really hard to watch as well.  Throw in a nasty stomach bug for me and my grandfather, the discovery of my severe iron deficiency, and a truck/lawnmower accident on top of everything else, and it's been one hard week.

The damage: the lawnmower was not put in park (not my fault) so it rolled through the rear window of the pick-up when I stepped on the brakes... Oops.
Due to my stupid iron deficiency, I've been too weak to run or do Zumba, so I needed to turn to my other therapy, and the purpose of this blog: baking.  Everyone already finished the Peach-Blueberry Pie I made three days ago, so I decided to make another pie.  My grandma's most famous pie is probably her blueberry one, so I thought that as a tribute to her, I would try to replicate hers.  The recipe is also from our good friend, Betty, and has essentially the same steps as for the peach pie, just use four cups of blueberries instead of peaches, and add a tablespoon of lemon juice.  If I'm making a pie to honor my grandmother, I decided I'd better go all out and make a real lattice-top, the first one of my life.  I don't think it turned out too badly.  It's not quite Gram's pie, but I'll just keep trying until I get it right.

The filling
Cut dough into 3/4" strips (as even as you can)
Weave them on top of a plate or board
Flip quickly on top of filling (and don't make it look like this)
Rearrange the strips and then seal the edges with leftover dough
Pie heaven: Bake at 325°F for 25-35 minutes
How I am choosing to say goodbye.
Perhaps next week I'll have a happier update for you all, and a nicer looking pie.  Until then, let's look for the sunshine through the rain.
Love and cookies,

No comments:

Post a Comment