Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chocolate Jumbos

These were the second item on our list for Best Friend Baking Day.  It was my dad's birthday last weekend, and these are my gift to him.  Chocolate Jumbos are his favorite cookies, but because they are so much work, he only gets them once a year, when I make them for him at Christmas time.  Since I was busy gallivanting off in Italy this past Christmas, he gets his cookies for his birthday.


Chocolate Jumbos
I'm not really sure whose recipe this is, but we have it written on an index card in our recipe box, and it is so wonderful I use it every year.  Unfortunately, we didn't have several of the ingredients, and I accidentally left one out, so they ended up being the worst batch of jumbos I've ever made.  However, if you stick to the recipe, you should be fine.

Ingredients
1 cup shortening (I didn't have enough, so I used butter as well: I don't recommend this)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (creating this post, I realize I left this out... oops)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup molasses
12 Tbs hot water
4 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves (we didn't have this either, so we substituted 1tsp allspice)

Ingredients
Cream together shortening, eggs, and sugars (notice my brown sugar is missing)
Add molasses
In separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients
Beat molasses until mixture is smooth and light
Add half the water, beat, then half the dry ingredients.  Repeat.
Even with my bowl guard, the flour dusts everything in my kitchen.
Remove dough and place on well-floured surface.  Roll out to 1/2" thickness.
Cut circles with a large glass and use a bottle cap to remove the centers.
Space evenly on ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes*
*It could be due to the butter substitution, or the lack of brown sugar, but I ended up baking these for 25 minutes, only half the time the recipe calls for.

Ingredients for glaze
I never measure when making a glaze.  I just mix powdered sugar and milk until it reaches the consistency I want.  Be careful with the vanilla: if you use too much, it will turn brown.  Use about 1/4 tsp.  To keep it from becoming overwhelmingly sweet, you can also add about 1/2 tsp of lemon juice (I highly recommend doing this).  Spread glaze over top of cookies with back of a spoon.  Do not stack until glaze is firmly set.


I hope you have better luck baking these than I did.  My dad might get them more than once this year, just so I can redeem myself and prove I can still make them.

Love and cookies,

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hannah
    My family has been making these for a long time as well.

    Slightly different recipe, we add coffee. They are SOOO wonderful! I look forward to whenever my mother is baking them!

    ReplyDelete