Monday, March 28, 2011

Another Birthday? (Raspberry Lemonade Cake)

Yes, I baked THREE birthday cakes in one weekend.  One for Nik on Friday, one for Michaela on Saturday, and one for Lisa on Sunday.  I hate March.  There are too many birthdays.  Needless to say, after a very busy weekend of cake baking and celebrating, I was exhausted, and not 100% devoted to this cake.  However, I wasn't going to let Lisa's birthday slip away without giving her a birthday cake.

When I thought about what kind of cake to make for Lisa, I had to think about what kind of person she is.  Lisa is a very happy girl with a very calm demeanor.  On occasion you see her a little stressed out, but for the most part, she's pretty peaceful.  Her personality kind of reminds me of springtime.  When I thought about what flavors go along with spring, I decided on a Raspberry Lemonade cake.


Raspberry Lemonade Cake: Lemon Cake filled with Raspberry Jam, topped with Raspberry Lemon Buttercream
Recipe adapted from Cherry Tea Cakes.
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 Tbs lemon zest
3 large eggs
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cups All-Purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk

Ingredients
In large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar
Beat until smooth (not like this).  Add lemon zest and juice, then eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
In separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.

Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and beat on medium speed until smooth.
Pour into 2 well-greased and floured 9" cake pans and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.  Cool in pans on wire racks.

I was exhausted by the time it came to make the frosting at 8:30pm, so forgive me if I don't post it.  I combined the leftover lemon buttercream from Nik's cake with a small batch of new buttercream with 2 Tbs of raspberry jam mixed in.

Decorated with a raspberry drop and lemon peel petals
Inside the center was a thick layer of raspberry jam
I really feel badly for not putting my full heart and effort into this cake/post, but three cakes was probably too much for me in one weekend.  Not to mention the fact that my friend from home came to visit, and got sick, so I spent a considerable amount of time taking care of him.  I didn't exactly get my homework done, nor get enough sleep, and I woke up this morning with my friend's stomach bug.  Just my luck, right?

Hope your weekend was slightly less exhausting.

Love and cookies,

2 comments:

  1. hannah your cake looks lovely! i'm happy you enjoyed the recipe! :) and yes, 3 in one week is far too taxing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I look at your blog, I think "YUM!"

    Your desserts look lovely!

    ReplyDelete