Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Almond Coconut Macaroons

This was the last recipe for Best Friend Baking Day 2011.  My mom's friend, Robert, put in a special request for "coconut cookies" while I am home on break.  He always fixes all my family's technological dramas, including setting up our new Blue Ray player for us this weekend, so I felt obliged to come through for him on his cookies.



Almond Coconut Macaroons
I've never made macaroons before, but I always welcome a new baking challenge.  I also haven't eaten a ton of macaroons in my life, so I wasn't too sure what recipe would make a good one.  The only ones I've ever had that I've liked are from Linda's Sweet Memories Bakery at the Wesleyan Farmers' Market.  After much searching on Food Gawker, I finally found a recipe that I thought would be most like Linda's.  It comes from Michele at Cooking with Michele.  Here's our adaptation of it:

Ingredients
14 ounces unsweetened shredded coconut 
2/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites, NOT WHIPPED (I know, surprise, right?)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup slivered almonds for garnish (optional)

Ingredients
In large bowl, stir together coconut, sugar, flour, and salt
Separate eggs
Add egg whites to coconut mixture, stir until everything is well-coated
To form the perfect mounds, pack a tablespoon full of the mixture, then hit it on your hand to get it out.  This stuff is STICKY.
Place on an ungreased baking sheet and gently stick an almond sliver in the center of each mound
Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes until coconut is lightly toasted.
Best Friend Baking Day was such a success, that we're going to repeat it on Friday afternoon.  Check back for those recipes!

Love and cookies,

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you mounded yours up with the almond slice on top!

    ReplyDelete