Thursday, February 24, 2011

Remembering You - Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake

Two years ago today, I lost my best friend, Kurtis, to suicide.  In the past two years, not one day has gone by where he hasn't crossed my mind.  Sometimes they're happy memories, sometimes they make me sad.  This week, I've been kind of an emotional train wreck.  Knowing that today would be especially hard, I decided to take the day off of classes to reflect.


When I decided to use my time to bake something in honor of Kurt's memory, there was no question what that something would be.  Back in high school, he used to bake gourmet cheesecakes for a restaurant to make some extra cash.  I never had the opportunity to try one of his creations, but I heard all about them during our nightly phone calls. 

I unfortunately don't have his famous recipe, so I adapted one from the Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book and added a few of his secret touches that I remember.
Ingredients
My new glass-bottom spring form pan!
My food processor decided not to work today.  I got out some frustration by pounding the graham crackers, but now I have a very lumpy crust
The not-so-therapeutic side of baking: a sink full of dishes
Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake with a shooting star for my shooting star


Kurtis, wherever you are out there, please know that you are dearly loved and sorely missed.  Forever and always, best friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment